The Crystal Cabin Award ® is celebrating its 10th year at Hamburg, Germany in 2016. The Crystal Cabin Award Association announced the finalists for the latest edition of the awards on March 7, 2016. The awards will be handed out at the Aircraft Interiors Expo to be held April 4-6, 2016.
Crystal Cabin Award
The following is an excerpt from the Association on the prestige awards:
“The Crystal Cabin Award is the only international award for excellence in aircraft interior innovation, donated by the Senate of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg and released by the Crystal Cabin Award Association. This unique honour for outstanding cabin products and concepts was presented for the first time ever on April 17th, 2007 during the Aircraft Interiors Expo in Hamburg. The Crystal Cabin Award’s main intention is to initiate a significant improvement in passenger comfort.
There are eight categories being awarded including:
Greener Cabin, Health, Safety and Environment
B/E Aerospace “Solar Eclipse”
Industrial Design & Visionary Concepts
Embraer (cooperation partner PriestmanGoode) “E2 New Cabin Interior”
Material & Components
SABIC Innovative Plastics “Lightweight, Clear Lexan™ XHR Sheet Series”
Passenger Comfort Hardware
SII Deutschland GmbH “SANTO Seat“
Passenger Comfort Systems
ViaSat Inc. “ViaSat Exede® In The Air”
Premium Class & VIP
Etihad Airways (cooperation partners Acumen Design Associates, Factorydesign, Honour Branding and Promise Communispace) “Etihad Airways A380 Upper Deck”
HAW Hamburg in cooperation with Airbus Operations GmbH / Spille “Mobile Vacuum Trash Compactor“
In part 1, we will look at the first four categories and their finalists.
This category is for cabins that were introduced in the last year and in operations. The finalists are:
- Etihad Airways (cooperation partner Acumen Design Associates) for Etihad B787 First Suites – There are 8 First Class Suites in a 1-2-1 configuration. Each suite features a wide screen High Definition inflight entertainment system, connectivity options like USB/AC Power ports and a door.
- Seymour Powell LTD. First Spaces – Similar to Etihad Airways Residence, this seat can convert into a double bed with a press of a button.
- tangerine (cooperation partners Virgin Australia, B/E Aerospace) Virgin Australia, A330 & B777 – The latest design features a 1-2-1 configuration. Passengers are treated with more comfort with more space and lighting options.
- B/E Aerospace Viu Flex Lighting System – a flexibility LED lighting system that be installed anywhere and can be tuned into many colors.
- Diehl Service Modules GmbH (cooperation partner Diehl Aerospace GmbH) Smart Galley – A modular construction design makes it possible to reconfigure the galley at lightning speed
- Lufthansa Technik (cooperation partner hs2 Engineering) Inductive Cooking Platform. The technology leverages the reduced-heat (and reduced flammability) found in home cooking.
- Gogo 2Ku – 2Ku uses dual-antenna technology – one for the upward (receive-only) link to the aircraft, the other for the downward (return) link to the ground. Gogo’s U.S.-based Ground-To-Orbit solution utilizes one of the same proprietary antennas. Download speed can be up to 70 MBPS.
- Lufthansa Systems GmbH & Co. KG BoardConnect Portable – the wireless IFE portable solution introduced in 2013. The system is light and can update contents over a mobile data link or a USB key.
- Thales (cooperation partners B/E Aerospace, tangerine) Digital Sky – a unique seat and IFE product pairing Thales and B/E Aerospace developed in collaboration with tangerine, re-imagines Economy and Premium Economy passenger experience. A large portrait digital seat-back display allows passengers to shop, play, listen, explore and watch simultaneously, using a split screen feature.
Greener Cabin, Health, Safety and Environment
- Apparatebau Gauting GmbH Green Fire Suppression System – The Halon-Free Solution – An innovative and environmentally friendly fire extinguishing system for the cargo hold, spraying a mixture of water and nitrogen.
- Fraunhofer Research Institution fos and Composites PYCO Chemical Recycling of Cabin Lining Elements – “The Institution focuses on developments for use in lightweight construction as well as in micro and optoelectronics: new (nano)materials, prepregs, core materials, layer composites, fibre-reinforced polymers, sandwich structures, bistable displays, optically integrated components, barrier layers”
- The Boeing Company Clean Cabin – Fresh Lavatory – Covered by Experience The Skies, Boeing is taken a fresh take of using technology to make the lavatory area cleaner.
Follow this link for Part 2.