Today’s news digest incorporates features on Skytrax, Delta Air Lines, Bombardier, United Airlines, Airbus, AirAsiaX, ANA All Nippon Airways, Air India and WestJet.
Featured News By Experience The Skies
Skytrax Revealed The Best In The 2017 World Airlines Awards – Skytrax announced Qatar Airways as the best airlines in its annual awards at the Paris Air Show.
Aviation News Around The World
Delta One Suite and Delta Premium Select on sale (Delta Air Lines) – The airline’s new Delta Premium Select and Delta One suite product on board its new Airbus A350 (Related News) is on sale on Delta.com, with travel agents and other outlets. The first routings to have the new service include: Detroit (DTW) to Narita (NRT) on October 30, 2017 replacing a Boeing 747, selected Detroit (DTW) to Incheon (ICN) on November 16, 2017 replacing a Boeing 747 and selected Detroit (DTW) to Beijing (PEK) on January 17, 2018 replacing an Airbus A330.
Bombardier C Series Buoyed by Qatar Interest, GE’s Canada Deal (Bloomberg) – Bombardier is entertaining new interests from Qatar who is going to start a new Indian airline and may require up to 100 C Series aircrafts. Additionally, Air Baltics may purchase more aircrafts due to favorable operational results. SWISS also received its first CS-300 aircrafts recently (Related News).
United Airlines converts 100-jet order into Boeing 737 MAX 10 (Reuters) – United Airlines converted 100 of its 161 order of Boeing 737 MAX orders into the MAX 10 version. In addition, it has ordered another four 777-300ER for long haul routes.
Airbus introduces Skywise: the beating heart of aviation Airbus Aircraft (Airbus) – In partnership with Palantir, a new digital secured platform is created to collect and analyze data from aircraft operations that be used for optimization and future designs.
AirAsia X drops plans to resume Europe flights (ch-Aviation) – AirAsia X had plans to resume long haul flights from Asia to Europe with the first airport being London Gatwick Airport (LGW). The ultra low cost carriers initially dry leased two Boeing 777-300ER for the operation but cancelled plans to concentrate on growth in the Asia market. Its plans to offer Hawaiian service at the end of June from Osaka, Japan have not changed. Long term future growth for AirAsia X would be managed by a fleet of 66 Airbus A330-900neo the airline ordered for 2019 delivery.
ANA’s STAR WARS™ Project C-3PO™ ANA JET flight schedule revealed (All Nippon Airways) – The specially painted Boeing 777-200 STAR WARS™ themed aircraft features paper cups and headrest covers with a unique C-3PO™ design. All the cabin attendants will wear STAR WARS™ themed aprons during service. The aircraft will be used for regional Japanese flights between Haneda (HND) to Itami (ITM) and Haneda (HND) -Fukuoka (FUK) on selected flights during the summer months.
The Android version received a signifiant upgrade to version 2 and now features functionalities similar to its Star Alliance airline members.
New features include:
• A simple and efficient booking flow, where options for destination and date search, cabin class and
number of passengers are all available in a single page view.
• International booking now supported.
• Purchase premium seats with booking.
• Select your special meals and other special services at booking.
• Passport scan for faster passenger detail entry.
• Save multiple travellers for speedier future bookings.
• Credit card scan for simple payment data entry.
• Option to store credit cards in Wallet for future quick access.
• Support for credit cards, debit cards, net banking, and Amex EzeClick.
• View ticket options in your local currency.
• Easy and simple check-in.
• Retrieve itineraries booked anywhere with booking reference.
• Mobile Check-In with print @ home boarding pass or Mobile Boarding Pass (where available)
• View and pick seats by your assigned cabin class at time of check-in.
• Option to view flight timetable for seven days in a single screen.
• Optional notifications for boarding, mobile check-in, and before you fly for trips loaded in-app.
• Sign in to Flying Returns.
• Quick access to Air India Call centers and sales offices around the world.
• Access your trip offline.
WestJet broke two Guinness World Records with a light show in Utah’s Mojave desert. Passengers on board flight 1118 from Toronto (YYZ) to Las Vegas (LAS) participated in a unique contest by looking out the window at 12,000 ft up in the sky to lights flashing random seat numbers. The winner at seat 4A reserved a big prize.